Thursday, November 18, 2010

Thoughts on Class pt. 4

I wish we had gotten to see more interesting examples of media going deep into reporting on an ethnic community. I felt being showed the snippets of 'Barbershop' was effective and should have taken more importance than talking about it. We spent the whole class talking about seeing it, then saw it, then adjourned. There was a mismanagement of class time that day for sure.

In general, I feel the class has progressed too slowly. I am not complaining because having this easy class has been the one saving grace for my hectic 18 credit semester. I am not wishing we had more assignments, but I am wishing the class had more involvement. To be effective and have a lasting effect on our future careers, we should have gone on class trips to difficult places and then held reflections afterward.

The actual class meetings have simply reflections for our individual listening post experiences and I feel it had to go further. We had to get a chance to watch each other in a different setting to help each other grow. I know for a fact that there are people in this course who never broke through the fears of their listening post and it's because they didn't have enough hands on training to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment