Monday, November 8, 2010

Belated Thought on a Cross-Cultural Halloween

The internet-phenomenon Antoine Dodson got his start by being interviewed by NBC affiliate WAFF-48 News in a news clip about the local police searching for a man who tried to rape his sister in Huntsville, AL.

Mr. Dodson's gifted speech delivery skills and sassy inflection got him noted by a group who "auto tunes the news." The group used his interview to create a song that was actually incredibly catchy.

His success and uniqueness made him a popular Halloween costume. The official costume was sold on Mr. Dodson's site. It was based on the outfit that he wore in the news package that made him famous. The pieces included a raggedy afro wig with a red bandana around it, a black tank top, and red cargo shorts.

I was surprised that one of my anglo acquaintances chose to dress up as Mr. Dodson. My acquaintance is snow white, but decided to dress like Mr. Dodson and the costume actually worked. I saw a photo of him and I instantly knew what it was. I was dismayed to see he had added fairy wings as a response to Dodson's sexual orientation, but in general the costume left a positive impression on me. It was nice to see that a cross-cultural success Mr. Dodson has become through the coverage he was given by a reporter.

No comments:

Post a Comment