Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Surprising Find

I hope the title of this blog doesn't come off in the wrong way, but I was surprised to get a test result of preferring African-Americans to Europeans.

My whole life the adults in my family were very pro-European (and very anti all others except Cubans). In 6th grade, when my Grandma was still alive, I had a friend of Middle-Eastern heritage come over to play. We were playing in my room for 15 minutes tops until my Grandma came in. She started screaming, "Pakistani! Pakistani!" and chased him out of my room. She sat by the door holding a butter knife in her hand while I translated to him that she wanted him to leave.

From a very young age I was exposed to the N-word in its harshest context along with any other derogative, discriminatory word you can think of.
My family taught hate for blacks, lower class white Americans, almost every South American nationality, every religious people besides Catholic (even Christian), Middle-East, Asians... seriously, you name it.

Yet on this test I scored as having a preference for African-Americans to Europeans.

I guess the apple can roll as far from the tree as it wants. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment