Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Thoughts on class

Every Monday and Wednesday from 5:00pm to 6:15pm my classmates and I get to discuss our biases and fears amongst ourselves. It's not evolved significantly since the first day of class.

We still have our biases. The same girls in the corner still give me the impression they come to class drunk. I still can't envision my listening post, and the speech Professor Reisner gave us on the first day gets reworked ever so slightly at every class meeting (let's hope it's on its last leg).

Our Prof wasn't kidding when he said this wasn't your conventional type of class. I can think of no other class that would devote an entire class meeting to help someone not think of a drug-user as an immoral and "disgusting" person.

It's like anti-bias counseling. Or therapy for the young black woman who has to venture into a biker bar to overcome her fears.

On a personal level, I'm afraid to go to a synagogue. Just the fact that I have to buy clothes because I don't own a long skirt makes the task daunting. Let's see how I can pull this off.

No comments:

Post a Comment