Monday, August 30, 2010

First day of blogging in Multi-Ethnic reporting class!

the term Multi-Ethnic IS Miami.

With bus signs in three languages and radio stations with lots of international music, Miami has a reputation for causing many a gringo to go into culture shock.

As a person who was born and raised in Miami by a Cuban family, I should fit the bill for a stereotypical Miami-girl with full-fledged Miami accent who shops at U.S. Tops, but I often get confused for white.

Miami is so Hispanic that even second generation Hispanic children grow up surrounded by the culture and beliefs of their family's original country.

I'm different from this type of Hispanic in a few ways:
-I learned Spanish primarily from school. My grandmother was the only one I spoke Spanish with, but sadly she passed away in 2003. The rest of my family speaks English more than Spanish.
-I have little to no Latin flair. This isn't a good thing =(
-My family has always made turkey for all major holidays, not pork as is traditional.

I am similar to the stereotypical Miami Hispanic in a few ways:
-My aunt is a huge racist. She is pretty much the only person who fulfills the role of abuela, abuelito or papi who would definitely all be racist if they were still around.
-I bought a peach-colored pair of pants from U.S. Tops once. My aunt's ex-husband encouraged the style choice =/... I wore them about two times.
-My family can't wait til Fidel is dead.

No comments:

Post a Comment